Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met with Gaza peace envoy Nikolay Mladenov to discuss a new disarmament agreement with Hamas and to urge an end to Israeli strikes in the Gaza Strip. The talks come amid lingering security concerns over the broader cease‑fire framework.

Key Takeaways

  • Netanyahu held detailed talks with Gaza peace envoy Nikolay Mladenov.
  • A new agreement aims to fully decommission Hamas weapons.
  • Mladenov urged Israel to halt strikes in Gaza.

In Jerusalem, Nikolay Mladenov, the high‑representative overseeing Gaza’s post‑war transition, met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his cabinet. The Board of Peace described the meeting as “constructive and detailed,” emphasizing the goal of complete weapon decommissioning and a shift from gun‑rule to civilian governance.

Mladenov, accompanied by senior adviser Aryeh Lightstone, pressed Netanyahu to stop Israeli airstrikes on the Gaza Strip, arguing that the disarmament process could only succeed without further escalation.

U.S. President Donald Trump announced the agreement late Thursday, extending the broader cease‑fire deal reached last year. The pact requires Israel to cease military operations while Hamas and its allies halt all militant activity, outlining a general framework for weapon decommissioning.

Why This Matters

BozokMedia analysis shows that a successful disarmament deal could reshape the security dynamics of the Israeli‑Palestinian conflict, potentially opening a path to a lasting civilian governance model in Gaza.

“If both sides honor the disarmament timeline, the region could witness its first sustained peace corridor in decades,” says Dr. Aisha Karim, Middle‑East security analyst.

Despite the announcement, Israel voiced “serious security concerns” and shared them with the United States. Meanwhile, Gaza health officials reported 17 deaths overnight, though no airstrikes were recorded on Monday.

Did You Know?: The 2024‑2025 two‑year conflict in Gaza resulted in approximately 73,375 deaths, the majority of whom were civilians.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Has Hamas agreed to fully decommission its weapons? Yes, the Board of Peace says a detailed disarmament protocol has been drafted, though Israel’s security concerns remain.
  • What is Israel’s stance on the agreement? Israel has indicated it cannot fully commit until its security concerns outlined in the text are addressed.